Zesty squash, cilantro and carrots medley






I came up with this vegetable mix because I saw squash in my regular grocery store and it was a blurb underneath it said "yellow vegetable high in vitamin C." I had never cooked fresh squash before because it was not grown in Nigeria or Oman (the two countries in which I had lived and been exposed to food). I decided to try to make this vitamin C rich vegetable into a dish. Adding carrots gave me some vitamin A and cilantro contains vitamin A and vitamin C.

RECIPE

Ingredients
2 medium-sized carrots 
1 squash, chopped 
One turkey sausage, sliced
cilantro 
one-quarter of a medium-sized purple onion diced.
Ginger powder for seasoning,
salt,
Nestle Maggi Seasoning 

Cooking directions.
1. Add some canola oil to a saucepan, enough to cover the base. Not much oil is needed, just enough to ensure the vegetables do not stick to the pan.
2. Add in the carrots, squash, cilantro, and onions. You can pretty much throw these in at the same time. I usually stir fry onions first but in this case, I wanted the onions to season the vegetables from the start.
3. Sprinkle salt and a little ginger. I did not measure the ginger but if I were to estimate it, it would be about a quarter of a teaspoon.
4. Lastly, add in Nestle's Maggi sauce and cook on medium heat till your vegetables get soft. For me, the time frame was between 10 to 15 minutes. The texture of the vegetables will look similar to the picture above.







Comments

Popular Posts